What do the words healthy, normal or regular mean to you in relation to your sex life? Those words can have many connotations when people think of sex. Often when someone is in a happy, committed relationship they rarely consider whether their sex life is healthy, normal or regular. They may discuss things casually with their friends but are often satisfied and relaxed enough not to feel the need to analyse or consider the specific benefits of a healthy sex life.
Let’s look now at some of the benefits of a healthy sex life:
- Stress is a major factor of modern life. Many people are extremely busy and rarely have time to stop for a break, let alone think about their partner and how they are doing. Fun and ‘me’ time is often the last thing on their mind. One of the benefits of stopping and making time for sex is that it is a distraction from the stresses and demands of modern life: it’s a way to introduce fun, pleasure, desire, intimacy into life and release some endorphins. Healthy sex is also a positive way to alleviate stress and tension within a relationship.
- Intimacy and closeness with someone special improves their connection and adds a deeper level of bonding to their relationship. When a couple stop fancying each other, stop kissing and engaging in sexual relations it is often a sign that they are struggling with underlying issues. There may be stress or health related issues, personal concerns that are coming between them. Physical and sexual intimacy paves the way for greater closeness, can facilitate better communications and enable the relationship to improve.
- A couple who are in a positive, sexually intimate relationship are often able to trust each other more easily and communicate more frankly. Sex can lead to conversations about personal, sensitive matters that may not have seemed comfortable or possible during normal busy, daily life. Post-coital pillow talk is often an important by-product of the intimacy that comes from a healthy sex life.
- Good standards of personal hygiene and attention to self-care are often evident when a couple are interested in each other and are enjoying a healthy sex life. Personal cleanliness, grooming, exercise, looking after yourself, dressing to look attractive are often important considerations when there is a positive interest in sex.
- Personal levels of confidence often benefit when someone is enjoying a healthy sex life. Being attractive to one’s mate, feeling desired and desirable enables a person to feel sexy, relaxed and more confident within themselves. Sexual confidence and satisfaction bring an appeal and attractiveness of their own. And it can fun; sharing secrets that only the two of you know. Leaving sexy notes for each other to find, wearing sexy underwear under your sharp business suit can introduce a confident buoyant spring to your step, yet another benefit of a healthy sex life.